could be hit with a six-month ban from football after appearing before a disciplinary panel over the string of betting offences he has been charged with.
The 27-year-old Brentford striker is charged with breaking FA betting rules 262 times between February 2017 and January 2021, some of which he has admitted, but not all, reports .
The international went before the disciplinary panel on Tuesday, which he will hope means that the case that has been running for six months already.
A ban of six months is on the cards for the forward, some of which is likely to be served over the summer, but he would still miss the start of next season with the Bees.
Speaking about the case last week, Brentford boss Thomas Frank said: ‘I am pretty sure we will know where we stand before the season ends or just after the season so we can react, potentially.
‘Right now we are in a good position. We have four good players in Kevin Schade, Yoane Wissa, Bryan Mbeumo, Keane Lewis-Potter. But we have to wait until the result of the hearing before we do anything. But we are prepared if we need to do anything.’
Toney missed Brentford’s win over West Ham on Sunday with a hamstring injury, but Frank hopes for him to return on Saturday at Spurs.
‘It’s a hamstring injury,’ Frank said. ‘We’ll assess him during the week and, hopefully, he’s going to be available for Tottenham. That’s what we’re working towards.’
On his star striker, the manager said recently: ‘I love Ivan and I think it’s fantastic what he has achieved here and there’s more to achieve here for him. I’m really really happy he’s a Brentford player.
‘He did well in League One, then he did well in the Championship and got promoted, he got 12 Premier League goals last year, now he’s on 20, hopefully getting even more, what is the limit? I think he has good potential.’
, ., and .